LLCheryl
#1 Posted : 07 April 2010 10:11:00(UTC)
LLCheryl

Groups: licklibrary\Free Member

**This has been moved to Danny's forum where it belongs. Questions for the webcast must be posted in the Webcast Thread and not in new posts. Please remember to not make 4 new posts for the same thing**[br]
[br]
Larry, All of your posts have been combined into one. Please do not make multiple posts and ensure you post in the right location as this helps other members, the LickLibrary team and our contributors reply accordingly.
DannyGill
#2 Posted : 15 April 2010 17:22:00(UTC)
DannyGill

Hi Larry[br]
Good suggestions. Seems that Hotel CA could be a dvd all in itself![br]
The Jam With series is a little more condensed than other dvds in order to have more trax (and of backing trax)[br]
But I do appreciate all of the comments.[br]
Thanks![br]
[br]
Danny
LarryOsterhoudt
#3 Posted : 16 April 2010 03:06:00(UTC)
LarryOsterhoudt

Hi Danny,[br]
[br]
Thanks for that. You did not reply to what pedal you use for Hotel CA.[br]
[br]
Larry
LarryOsterhoudt
#4 Posted : 16 April 2010 04:11:00(UTC)
LarryOsterhoudt

Hi Danny,[br]
[br]
Here is a trick you can use to better hear the notes clearer on the Eagles original recordings. You might already know it since you do a great job figuring out the notes.[br]
[br]
Here is the trick if you don't already know it and it is very easy to do:[br]
[br]
On the back of your stereo amplifier, disconnect the speaker minus (-) wires (sometimes labeled ground) from each of the left and right channels. Now twist the ends of those wires you just removed together. You can use a clip lead to accomplish this if you have one.[br]
[br]
What's going to happen when you playback any CD is any sound that was common to both channels will be gone (cancelled out.) Use your balance control to maximize the cancelling effect. It should be at dead center or just slightly off center. Usually the trick will remove almost all the vocals and bass from a song. You will be amazed what you will hear in the playback. There are notes that Don Felder is playing you can now hear clearly that were lost in the mix when played as conventional stereo. I installed a switch on mine so I can change it on the fly. Rest assure, this will not harm your amp or speakers. Try it and post a reply. [br]
[br]
- Larry
DannyGill
#5 Posted : 17 April 2010 14:14:00(UTC)
DannyGill

Hi Larry[br]
On the dvd's, I usually go direct. Sometimes a Boss GT-10, sometimes a digitech preamp. There is also a direct signal so that the sound can be manipulated later on. The engineer (Martin) usually uses amplitube if he needs to change the sound. So...no pedal per se. Live I like a tube screamer. Not sure what The Eagles used.[br]
Re: Felders off the neck notes;not really sure. Perhaps they sped up the tape in the studio? [br]
[br]
Cheers[br]
Danny
LarryOsterhoudt
#6 Posted : 18 April 2010 04:18:00(UTC)
LarryOsterhoudt

LarryOsterhoudt
#7 Posted : 18 April 2010 04:36:00(UTC)
LarryOsterhoudt

Thanks for that Danny.[br]
[br]
The Eagles Hotel CA lead guitar sound sounds like to me to be a mic'ed up tube amp which is cranked and probably in an isolated room. They might be using one of those Risson amps. For home use though, it is not pratical to mic-up an amp in an isolated room. For now I am using an Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes overdrive for the sound simply becuse that is all I got. Then I run that through my Plush (60ies Fender circuit clone) tube amp. It's close, just not exactly like the Eagles.[br]
[br]
Re Felder: Good point on the tape being sped up. I guess they could be slowing the tape down during the recording for those off the neck notes, then playing it back at normal speed. That would do it. I know some studio trick is being used, because he never hits those notes live. It's always an octive down. - Larry