Jamie M
#1 Posted : 09 September 2010 08:56:00(UTC)
Jamie M

Groups: Registered

to get the gnr sound you really need a valve amp. they sound a lot sweeter and warmer than any solid state amp. blackstar are a great make of valve amp. i have just bought a blackstar ht40, 40 watt valne amp for £500 gbp. it will have far superior sound than your 80 watt solid state.[br]
adam11
#2 Posted : 09 September 2010 17:29:00(UTC)
adam11

yeah u need a valve amp for any guitar to sound good to be honest. if i were you i would get the amp before u change the guitar and see what u think then. in my opinion your godin is better than any epiphone. if needs be u can always change the pickups in the guitar which will give u the sound your after. slash uses seymour duncan alnico 2 humbuckers .
Adrian D'Souza
#3 Posted : 10 September 2010 06:14:00(UTC)
Adrian D'Souza

AdamR wrote:
yeah u need a valve amp for any guitar to sound good to be honest. if i were you i would get the amp before u change the guitar and see what u think then. [strong][em]in my opinion your godin is better than any epiphone. if needs be u can always change the pickups in the guitar which will give u the sound your after. slash uses seymour duncan alnico 2 humbuckers .[/em][/strong]
[br]
[br]
Just curious why do you think my velocity is better than an epiphone? Also changing pickups is a bitch because mine are located in the bridge.[br]
[br]
Do you think I'd be able to get the slash sound with just my godin and a blackstar witout changing my guitar? I've never seen a slash cover without a les paul. I wonder why? the ones I did didn't sound like G&R.[br]
[br]
BTW What IS the Godin good for? Maybe I can forget about G&R and use the Godin for what it is made for. My Cube 80x is a good amp and has a lot of features so I don't have to buy a zillion pedals. It costs me $400-$450 or so on discount. Its got an equalizer, chorus, flanger, tremelo, etc tap delay, reverb , dubbing your own music (up to 30 sec or so) and then playing over that (and then dubbing that playback and playing over that!!!). It's got 10 COSM amps built in with funky names modellimg amps like the Acoustic, VOX, Marshall, Mesa Boogie etc, and one of my personal favorites DYNAMP which changes distortion purely on how hard you hit the strings giving you a wide range of expression. It can have inputs like CD player or DVD to play soundtracks, and output to recorders. I have headphones attached to it of good quality in case I play in the mornings or late at night. It has a 3rd channel a SOLO channel which can put into memory every feature mentioned above to make your solo's come out. Each channel has its own volume switch. Basically its great for original work. I don't know how good it will be for copying other music.[br]
[br]
It seems it does a lot will the blackstar do all this or is it one type of amp and that's all? How many pedals will I need? What will it be good for?[br]
[br]
[br]
What type of music does the Godin Play best? Also maybe this is what Is should get into ?[br]
adam11
#4 Posted : 10 September 2010 08:50:00(UTC)
adam11

U don't have to have a les Paul to play gnr songs . It does help to have a mahogany bodied guitar . Sound wise but not essential at all.
I don't know a lot about godin guitars apart from they have a great rep and the well.put together. The only one iv tried was very good for the money
The backstage will not do most of the stuff ur cube will but that's not the point. The point is it will sound a whole lot better . U should be able to cover a give selection of styles with the blackstar without additional pedals. Slash only uses a delay and occasionally a wah.so to copy his sounds not difficult .just play with the tone control on your guitar
Jamie M
#5 Posted : 10 September 2010 13:34:00(UTC)
Jamie M

AdamR wrote:
U don't have to have a les Paul to play gnr songs . It does help to have a mahogany bodied guitar . Sound wise but not essential at all. I don't know a lot about godin guitars apart from they have a great rep and the well.put together. The only one iv tried was very good for the money The backstage will not do most of the stuff ur cube will but that's not the point. The point is it will sound a whole lot better . U should be able to cover a give selection of styles with the blackstar without additional pedals. Slash only uses a delay and occasionally a wah.so to copy his sounds not difficult .just play with the tone control on your guitar
[br]
[br]
yeah adam is right. i have a prs with slash pups and i can get the sound pretty much bang on. use your ears and mess around with your gear you should be able to get the tone you need
Adrian D'Souza
#6 Posted : 13 September 2010 14:41:00(UTC)
Adrian D'Souza

I've decided to keep both my Godin and Cube 80x amp for now as I'm still practicing stages. After a few years I may decide to buy a new amp for performance reasons IF necessary but I think I'll still keep my Cube 80x. Its great for practicing. And also as a backup in case my new amp goes for repair or visa versa. i will look into the BlackStar. if I'm correct Danny Gill used it in his recording of some of his G&R turotial dvd works.[br]
[br]
[br]
Adrian
adam11
#7 Posted : 13 September 2010 16:49:00(UTC)
adam11

not sure on that about the danny dvds. but if your happy with your current gear then theres no sense in changing it. i have to admit i go through a phase were i listen to a lot of les paul players and i want one to help replicate that sound. then i go to a guitar store and try one out and realise it still doesnt feel right in my hands. keep plugging away .