philiphobin
#1 Posted : 26 June 2010 11:39:00(UTC)
philiphobin

Groups: licklibrary\Free Member

hi ell, [br]
[br]
i've brought weeks 1 & 2 and have found them very good. the lessons are well structured and i've noticed a difference in my playing already. hope this helps. phil
ElliottPorter
#2 Posted : 28 June 2010 09:29:00(UTC)
ElliottPorter

Hi Phil, really kind of you to give your feedback on this series - very much appreciated.
NigelHughes
#3 Posted : 07 July 2010 15:21:00(UTC)
NigelHughes

I bought week 1 this morning, although I believe the proper title should be rock guitar in 6 stages rather then weeks, I for one don't think I'll be finished with this DVD in a week, I'd say a month but I'll keep you posted. It certainly seems the right choice for where I want to be as a guitar player, I've done the basics, messed around with a few songs and am now looking for a more structured approach to learning, also it looks like there's a few cool tracks to learn as well.
NigelHughes
#4 Posted : 13 July 2010 10:02:00(UTC)
NigelHughes

Cool, it arrived yesterday after ordering the previous Wednesday, I've decided to look through the dvd first before doing the play along thing, seems to be an absolute world of information on it and I'm only on week 1. Will post updates here as I work my way through it.
ElliottPorter
#5 Posted : 13 July 2010 11:05:00(UTC)
ElliottPorter

Hey this is really kind of you Nigel - thanks very much for sharing. Really looking forward to hearing how you get on with week one...

Enjoy!
NigelHughes
#6 Posted : 27 July 2010 14:06:00(UTC)
NigelHughes

[br]
2 weeks in and improvement is defintitely being noticed, didn't practice any last week since the darts was on Sky but got back to it last night. Picked up where I left off, I'm noticing a definite improvement in finger and hand strength, most likely coming from practicing scales a hundred times and bends. [br]
[br]
I really like Danny's style of teaching, he's a very accomplished player but still manages to sound interested and enthusiastic about the beginner stuff. [br]
[br]
One thing I didn't like when I first watched the dvd was that he didn't do a step by step of the jam track all in one go instead it's done throughout the entire dvd in the different lessons however this proved to be actually a good thing since it forces you to use your ear and I was more then pleased with myself when I figured out some of the stuff for myself.[br]
[br]
Bends are proving a challange since I've got a squier and the action ain't good but my theory is if I can make the squier sound good I can make anything sound good. Week 2 will be ordered soon probably this week. My only criticism is that the series doesn't seem to concentrate too much on chords and chord progression in rock music, it does seem more solo and riff oriented.
NigelHughes
#7 Posted : 13 August 2010 11:12:00(UTC)
NigelHughes

Ok so I ordered week 2 yesterday, I'm happy with my progress. The other night I was practising a few Lizzy songs(I bought the LTP Thin Lizzy too) and I noticed that my little finger was playing the solos without me having to think about it. [br]
[br]
The first Slash style lick was a challange but am playing it handy now, the second was pretty easy although it sounds cool, I'm not mad on the third lick so haven't really had an honest go at it.[br]
[br]
Timewise I'd say 2 weeks of every night would really get most players through this dvd, I'd say I spent about 15-20 hours on this over the past month and am enjoying it. Hopefully the stronger my fingers become the faster I will pick up the stuff in the other dvds. I'm aiming at having the entire series finished by Christmas, probably earlier with Winter coming in but I'd be happy with Christmas. If my improvement over the past month is anything to go by I'll be cruising by Christmas.
ElliottPorter
#8 Posted : 13 August 2010 11:30:00(UTC)
ElliottPorter

WOW Nigel sounds like you are really enjoying the course and doing really well on it. I still haven't got around to it yet - time constraints a go go - but looking forward to the time when I can concentrate on this and practice as much as it deserves.

Good luck Nigel and keep it going. Thanks again for keeping me updated, much appreciated - it sounds like you'll be flying by Christmas mate!

Good for you!
NigelHughes
#9 Posted : 17 August 2010 15:27:00(UTC)
NigelHughes

Well if I thought there was a lot to learn on week 1 there's zillions of stuff on week 2 including 25 minutes on sequences alone. Had a look at it last night, plenty of cool sounding licks on it and a different slower backing track. I've some time off from next week so hoping to make it through this one a bit quicker. [br]
[br]
The course is definitely enjoyable, I like hearing something cool knowing that in a few weeks I'll be able to play it. 1 hour a night ain't much to ask and it's a lot more enjoyable then watching crap TV.
jon m
#10 Posted : 25 January 2011 13:37:00(UTC)
jon m

Hi guys,i've bought the entire course, and i would highly recommend it to anyone, i have noticed some very definate improvements with my inprovising already.

i'm up to week 3, and its getting real interesting now, incorporating the major pent. scale with the minor, and switching between them ala angus young style, its gonna take me a bit longer to absorb this than the 1st 2 weeks.

go ahead dive right in, you wont be dissapointed, plus you get a small discount when getting the whole thing rather than seperate dvd's
ChristopherMathis
#11 Posted : 19 February 2011 03:27:00(UTC)
ChristopherMathis

Nigel Hughes wrote:
and it's a lot more enjoyable then watching crap TV.
[br]
[br]
Amen brother.
Adrian D'Souza
#12 Posted : 04 April 2011 06:33:00(UTC)
Adrian D'Souza

Nigel Hughes wrote:
I bought week 1 this morning, although I believe the proper title should be rock guitar in 6 stages rather then weeks, I for one don't think I'll be finished with this DVD in a week, I'd say a month but I'll keep you posted. It certainly seems the right choice for where I want to be as a guitar player, I've done the basics, messed around with a few songs and am now looking for a more structured approach to learning, also it looks like there's a few cool tracks to learn as well.
[br]
[br]
I'm a big fan of Danny's teaching style. I have his entire rock guitar in 6 weeks course. I think it too should be called 6 stages.[br]
[br]
At the moment I only delve into DVD 1 as its a good start before doing slash's technique; it even has a few slash like licks and teaches you all about string bending, vibrato, hammer ons, pulls off etc.[br]
[br]
Experience is the best teacher. Learn one of the DVD's in the series then pick an artist who complements the style taught and try to pull it off. So after mastering DVD 1 slash or G&R is great.[br]
[br]
Adrian
amir ahadiat
#13 Posted : 10 June 2011 18:14:00(UTC)
amir ahadiat

i agree.danny gills teach rock at six weeks very nice. i am beginner and week 1 is very helpful for me very nice learning.i buy full weeks this lesson.good luck
CezaryBaraniecki
#14 Posted : 27 July 2011 15:17:00(UTC)
CezaryBaraniecki

Do you think I could skip the first DVD if I know most of the begineer basics but am not quite intermediate and start at 2?[br]
[br]
I know all my open chords, barre chords, major scales, pentatonics, theory as to how chords and scales are made, frets etc etc. so I'm not sure if week one would be useful.[br]
[br]
???[br][br]
Adrian D'Souza
#15 Posted : 07 August 2011 12:31:00(UTC)
Adrian D'Souza

Cezary,[br]
[br]
Week 1 is very useful if you want to learn to play Slash/G&R style music. By no means is it any less relevant than any of the other weeks. To me it is the most useful DVD in the series.[br]
[br]
I intend to learn some G&R tracks, starting with Patience as taught by Mike Casswell, but before I embark on that I have my Learn Rock Guitar in 6 weeks whole package lying around and I intend to get through week 1 which covers slash's style and incorporates some slash style licks too, vibrato, string bending, hammer ons, and pull offs.[br]
[br]
Mike is a great teacher and I think I could pull off Patience without going through Gills stuff but I intend to learn some more G&R down the line so I think it would definitely be worth my time.[br]
[br]
If you're unsure of buying the whole package you can buy DVD 1 get a feel for it, and then buy DVD 2. I believe DVD 2 is more like Jimmy Page's style but I could stand corrected I haven't looked at the DVD's in a while.[br]
GrahamSpicer
#16 Posted : 17 January 2012 13:07:00(UTC)
GrahamSpicer

GrahamSpicer
#17 Posted : 17 January 2012 13:15:00(UTC)
GrahamSpicer

Just bought the whole course and working my way through Week 1, which is taking more like a month than a week. MAJOR DRAWBACK though is that there is NO TAB available with it. I note the comments about why TAB isn't available with Licklibrary DVD's. Bit of a cop out really. If Danny Gill is creating licks on his own DVD I see no reason why a TAB couldn't be provided. It is a nightmare listening to what he says and replaying DVD lots of times to accurately transpose the TAB to paper. I don't think I would have bought the course if I had known before, bearing in mind there are lots of course available on the web with TAB certainly included.[br]
[br]
Sorry to say this, just being honest.[br]
[br]
Graham
RichardBell3
#18 Posted : 21 January 2012 11:30:00(UTC)
RichardBell3

I got the whole course as a present for Xmas, and i'm just getting to the end of DVD 3. I have to say i've played on and off for years, and some of the content in the 1st 3 DVDs have blown me away. Danny Gills teaching style is perfect for me, and i've found my playing is far better than it was just a few short weeks ago. I've realised just how little I actually knew!
Adrian D'Souza
#19 Posted : 24 June 2012 13:44:00(UTC)
Adrian D'Souza

Sadly enough I never got past DVD 1 even though I own the whole package. Quite frankly for the type of music I do (Mainly U2, GreenDay and some Beginner G&R) I find this first DVD all you need.. Unless you want to become a master guitar PLAYER you probably don't need to learn all the DVD's. To play most of your favorite songs like me I only had to learn the first... I'd rather learn the first DVD thoroughly than rush through the whole six pack and not be good at anything.
Tony Boyd
#20 Posted : 13 August 2012 09:20:00(UTC)
Tony Boyd

I can't recommend this series highly enough! I was primarily a bass player and sometime rhythm guitarist. I always wanted to play lead. Well, now I can and it was doing this course a few years ago that started me off.[br]
[br]
There is virtually no rythym guitar work in the course, it is pretty much all lead guitar based.[br]
[br]
I found the teaching to be first rate. The pacing was perfect for me - I was always challenged but never totally defeated. I finished the course in 6 weeks but I wasn't new to playing guitar, just new to playing lead. Also Danny encourages you to use what he teaches to come up with your own licks and ideas.[br]
[br]
Don't be daft and limit yourself to the first DVD, that is just the start. The other DVDs cover the minor pentatonic in all 5 positions plus adding in the blues note. It does the same with the major pentatonic in all 5 positions. These 2 scales are the bare minimum you need to know to play lead guitar and get improvising. [br]
[br]
You wouldn't get very far trying to play Slash and GnR style music without knowing both the major and the minor pentatonics in more than 1 position! [br]
[br]
Danny continues teaching how to mix the major and minor pentatonics and throws in some really useful theory concepts. Each DVD has a different backing track so you get to practise playing licks and improvising over different styles and keys.[br]
[br]
The course is packed full of information but it is incredibly accessible. If you start the course stick with it and work your way through the full 6 DVDs, its well worth the effort!