2 Pages12>
JackDaniels
#1 Posted : 08 March 2012 04:50:00(UTC)
JackDaniels

Groups: licklibrary\Offline

Congrats bluesfloyd, even though I don't live there in the UK, it's always nice to have someone local who does competent work, and at a reasonable price. Proper setup is what makes a guitar truly shine, and it should be a mandatory service prior to a guitar even being shipped. Heaven knows that the major guitar companies are making more than enough money from the sales of guitars which are still incomplete setup wise. It's really too bad that the major guitar manufacturers don't include fret crowning, dressing, rolling the fretboard, and setups prior to the sale. We all know the reasoning for not including these services in a guitar's production (increased sticker prices), some of which has to do with the atmospheric conditions or environment where the guitar will reside. Although, there is much to be said for acquiring a guitar that's already had proper and accurate setup. I think it's very much like modern car manufacturers (selling/delivering) a partially completed automobile, how many of us would like to buy an brand new car that is incomplete because some feature would add substantially to the labor costs? We can at least be thankful for the major guitar manufacturers providing sufficient guitar grounding so as not to be electrocuted, and it's probably only due to guitar parts and wiring being a cheaper part of the build equation comparative to the services of: fret crowning, fret dressing, rolling the fretboard, and setup, otherwise we'd all be walking around looking like the bride of Frankenstein, or maybe this guy:
[br] [br]
http://pythonline.com/me...ures-terry-playing-piano
bluesfloyd
#2 Posted : 08 March 2012 18:33:00(UTC)
bluesfloyd

[br]
hi jack, [br]
thankyou for your detailed feed back, if a guitar set up in any way can improve the guys on here, to play a little bit better i would be most happy, learning guitar is a long road , and i have certainly struggled with it, so get a guitar set up etc, and that will give all you guys a bit more enthusiasm when you hear your old guitar sing and sound sweet, [br]
[br]
all the best, bluesfloyd.
Herb Cooke
#3 Posted : 27 March 2012 19:53:00(UTC)
Herb Cooke

Congrats on the good setup Bluesfloyd. Late response sorry. A properly setup guitar improves playing comfort and enjoyment, and in some cases like adjusting pickup height, SOUND. Totally agree with Jacks comments and add that the right guitar and right tech are worth holding onto. [br]
[br]
Some guitars either built poorly or develop problems from extreme wear, cannot be setup properly unless at way higher expense then one can afford, more then the guitar is worth, or can't be fixed. It sounds like you don't have one of those problems, and that's a good thing :D
Jamie M
#4 Posted : 28 March 2012 12:33:00(UTC)
Jamie M

Try a Musicman, they are all setup perfectly and unlike Fender and Gibson, Musicman dont make a bad guitar.
JackDaniels
#5 Posted : 28 March 2012 20:04:00(UTC)
JackDaniels

JamieM wrote:
Try a Musicman, they are all setup perfectly and unlike Fender and Gibson, Musicman dont make a bad guitar.

[br] [br]
Even though I've never owned a Musicman guitar, I'd have to say that I seriously doubt that Ernie Ball would be any different than Fender or Gibson in offering a proper setup for their guitars prior to making them available for sale. That is unless you pay an exorbitant price up front, and even then it's questionable if the guitar company would actually do the setup, or just consider the higher price paid as pure profit (look at many large scale guitar company custom shop guitars, and you'd be quite surprised). I do believe on the other hand, that some of the single entity guitar builders DO have something to prove by making their guitars a cut above the rest, by doing proper setups as a SOP (standard operating procedure). There are several guys in this class or breed of builders that I can mention that do this: Ron Kirn, Rick Kelly, Chihoe Hahn, Bill Crook, Jay Monterose (Five Tele style builders you should know - Premier Guitar).
[br] [br]
Also, even though I own Fender, Gibson, Gretsch guitars etc., I don't owe these guys any endorsements but I'll have to say that I've never had a bad guitar from them otherwise I wouldn't own one.
Jamie M
#6 Posted : 29 March 2012 09:35:00(UTC)
Jamie M

Just try one Jack... and all will be revealed
Herb Cooke
#7 Posted : 29 March 2012 21:29:00(UTC)
Herb Cooke

Jamie there was a sweet MM Luke in the store the other day when I was hunting for strings. 3 grand though ? OUCH ! I didn't play it because I thought I might want it if I play it lol. [br]
[br]
I'm already trying to talk myself out of a Jem, plus a Fender Precision bass ;)[br]
JackDaniels
#8 Posted : 30 March 2012 09:06:00(UTC)
JackDaniels

JamieM wrote:

[br] [br]
I wish it were that easy Jamie, because being lefty does have its pitfalls like finding a top of the line or nice lefty Ernie Ball at any local music store (ain't gonna happen). Also being the functional person that I am, I won't pay exorbitant amounts for a parts guitar like Fender or Ernie Ball (strat & tele style guitars). Since Fender seems comfortable in NOT offering a multitude of lefty version guitars, I am more than content to build the finest Strat and Teles to my specs, at a fraction of Fender Custom Shop prices. People may say, "Oh, you'll never get out the money that you put into those guitars". This may well be true, but where else am I going to go to get say an exquisite lefty Mary Kaye Strat at the fraction of the cost of an actual Fender Custom Shop guitar w/o paying $5000 to $7000 or more U.S.D.? And, when I put together a strat or tele, its for the guitar's playability #1, (play/feel/action/sound/tone) #2, and guitar good looks #3. This is what I mean when I say I'm a highly functional person, it's like if I were a hunter I'd hunt for food only and not for the head of the animal. The Ernie Ball Custom Shop is no different than Fender when it comes to custom shop guitar orders (exorbitant).
[br] [br]
I even see why some well known guitarists have approached "Ghost Builders" to construct guitars for them. For example, Slash of Guns and Roses fame, had Kris Derrig "Ghost Build" a number of '59 Les Pauls for him. I'm sure it was still cheaper than going through the actual Gibson Custom Shop for the very same guitars. The demand by players for quality Gibson's via "Ghost Builds" are said to have actually boosted Gibson's guitar sales. As an end result, Gibson now has to at least match or increase the quality of Gibson guitars comparative to the superior quality of "Ghost Built" Gibson replica guitars, and at the same time maintain the interests and demands made by their well known Gibson artist clientele. You could say that individual luthiers and small guitar businesses really push the big guitar companies to up their game otherwise, "If the heat's too hot for the biggee guitar manufacturers, then get out of the kitchen" and let the little guys take over, as a manner of speaking.
[br] [br]
BTW, no more guitars for me as I'm through with building and purchasing them. Fortunately I have no more physical storage space, or the wherewithal to buy any more so my G.A.S. is completely under control.
Jamie M
#9 Posted : 30 March 2012 09:50:00(UTC)
Jamie M

The Herbit wrote:
Jamie there was a sweet MM Luke in the store the other day when I was hunting for strings. 3 grand though ? OUCH ! I didn't play it because I thought I might want it if I play it lol. [br]
[br]
I'm already trying to talk myself out of a Jem, plus a Fender Precision bass ;)[br]
[br]
[br]
Probably a wise move Herb lol
Jamie M
#10 Posted : 30 March 2012 09:51:00(UTC)
Jamie M

Jack Daniels wrote:
JamieM wrote:
[br]
[br]
I wish it were that easy Jamie, because being lefty does have its pitfalls like finding a top of the line or nice lefty Ernie Ball at any local music store (ain't gonna happen). Also being the functional person that I am, I won't pay exorbitant amounts for a parts guitar like Fender or Ernie Ball (strat & tele style guitars). Since Fender seems comfortable in NOT offering a multitude of lefty version guitars, I am more than content to build the finest Strat and Teles to my specs, at a fraction of Fender Custom Shop prices. People may say, ";Oh, you'll never get out the money that you put into those guitars";. This may well be true, but where else am I going to go to get say an exquisite lefty Mary Kaye Strat at the fraction of the cost of an actual Fender Custom Shop guitar w/o paying $5000 to $7000 or more U.S.D.? And, when I put together a strat or tele, its for the guitar's playability #1, (play/feel/action/sound/tone) #2, and guitar good looks #3. This is what I mean when I say I'm a highly functional person, it's like if I were a hunter I'd hunt for food only and not for the head of the animal. The Ernie Ball Custom Shop is no different than Fender when it comes to custom shop guitar orders (exorbitant). [br]
[br]
I even see why some well known guitarists have approached ";Ghost Builders"; to construct guitars for them. For example, Slash of Guns and Roses fame, had Kris Derrig ";Ghost Build"; a number of '59 Les Pauls for him. I'm sure it was still cheaper than going through the actual Gibson Custom Shop for the very same guitars. The demand by players for quality Gibson's via ";Ghost Builds"; are said to have actually boosted Gibson's guitar sales. As an end result, Gibson now has to at least match or increase the quality of Gibson guitars comparative to the superior quality of ";Ghost Built"; Gibson replica guitars, and at the same time maintain the interests and demands made by their well known Gibson artist clientele. You could say that individual luthiers and small guitar businesses really push the big guitar companies to up their game otherwise, ";If the heat's too hot for the biggee guitar manufacturers, then get out of the kitchen"; and let the little guys take over, as a manner of speaking. [br]
[br]
BTW, no more guitars for me as I'm through with building and purchasing them. Fortunately I have no more physical storage space, or the wherewithal to buy any more so my G.A.S. is completely under control.
[br]
[br]
Hi Jack[br]
[br]
You have a life times gear and knowledge bud. Enjoy playing now and do great things.[br]
[br]
Jamie
Chromaticlord
#11 Posted : 30 March 2012 10:37:00(UTC)
Chromaticlord

if i had the money id buy a ernieball musicman only heard good things about these guitars.jack your a lucky guy being able to build these guitars and having the knowledge.
JackDaniels
#12 Posted : 31 March 2012 07:26:00(UTC)
JackDaniels

Jamie and Chromaticlord, thanks for the compliments but they're nothing more than guitars and equipment accumulated over time. I didn't always have the money to buy nice guitars and gear as this all came later in life for me. Unfortunately for many people all the nice and good things come in life after people are too old to really enjoy them. God willing, providing the river don't rise, and by the grace of God, may I be blessed with many more good years of guitar playing before I "Hear My Train A Coming". And BTW "doing great things" for me is guiding others like you guys in achieving tonal nirvana for yourselves, by any means that I may have available to me.
bluesfloyd
#13 Posted : 05 May 2012 11:29:00(UTC)
bluesfloyd

[br]
hi guys,[br]
thanks for the above posts, read through all of them, still learning lots from you guys, this is what i like about the guitar world , people just helping each other,[br]
[br]
all the best, bluesfloyd,
Fretmagic6
#14 Posted : 24 June 2012 17:10:00(UTC)
Fretmagic6

Hi Bluesfloyd,[br]
[br]
The guy you know who did your setup sounds a rare breed and your very lucky to know him especially if he's offered to make you a guitar, I just wondered what he charges to make a guitar from scratch?...Cheers..[br]
[br]
Fretmagic6.
bluesfloyd
#15 Posted : 28 June 2012 00:41:00(UTC)
bluesfloyd

[br]
hi, fretmagic6.[br]
the guy i used is mr, jon haire, www.jonhaireguitar.co.uk his contact details are on his web site he is based in peterborough, cambridgeshire, uk. we did not talk about a price on making a guitar, i just wanted a set up etc on my strat, which i was very pleased with, when we got talking he did say he builds guitars etc, best talk to him and tell him what you would like, i will see him soon because he will be fitting three single coil pick ups to my strat, i let you guys know how it sounds,[br]
[br]
all the best, bluesfloyd
Fretmagic6
#16 Posted : 28 June 2012 10:09:00(UTC)
Fretmagic6

Hi Bluesfloyd,[br]
[br]
Thanks for the information on your friend who makes guitars I will give his website a look and possibly contact him about making a guitar. Look foward to you letting us know about the pickups he's fitting to your strat anyway thanks again...[br]
[br]
Fretmagic6.
Adrian D'Souza
#17 Posted : 03 July 2012 13:57:00(UTC)
Adrian D'Souza

My brand new strat wasn't set up when I bought it even though it was on display and ready to go and they said it was fully built.[br]
[br]
Turns out although it plays well the tremelo bar was screwed in backwards, the bridge needed some adjusting, and other things.[br]
[br]
I'm thinking of taking it in maybe within the next 6 months to get an adjustment.. [br]
[br]
For now it seems fine.
bluesfloyd
#18 Posted : 27 July 2012 15:23:00(UTC)
bluesfloyd

fretmagic6 wrote:
Hi Bluesfloyd,[br]
[br]
Thanks for the information on your friend who makes guitars I will give his website a look and possibly contact him about making a guitar. Look foward to you letting us know about the pickups he's fitting to your strat anyway thanks again...[br]
[br]
Fretmagic6.
[br]
[br]
hi guys,[br]
i have had the pickups fitted, CS69 for neck and middle, SEYMOUR DUNCAN SSL-5 for the bridge, it sounds really good, CS69 have got a really smooth tone, and there seems more sustain from the SSL-5, the guy who done the work thinks also it sounds good, he would not normally use these pickups together, but now hearing the end result, thinks they are a great choice, i only copyed gilmours black strat, if its good for him then its good for me, some guys here did suggest some type of SSL1 DG, rather then the SSL-5, and CS FAT 50 for the neck, but i needed to make a choice so kept with what most people said from other sites, but thanks for all you guys input,[br]
[br]
all the best, bluesfloyd.
JackDaniels
#19 Posted : 27 July 2012 19:10:00(UTC)
JackDaniels

bluesfloyd, if you really want that Gilmour guitar to sing like my buddies Gilmour guitar there are two minor (cheap cost) upgrades you can do, and here are the links:
[br] [br]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...4600e4f003#ht_1110wt_936
[br] [br]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...19d07deb38#ht_485wt_1927
bluesfloyd
#20 Posted : 28 July 2012 13:34:00(UTC)
bluesfloyd

[br]
hi jack, [br]
thanks for the sites, i did get all the hardware changed some time ago ,and even noticed a better sound, adding stuff over time / hardware/ guitar set up/ pickups/ you can hear the changes bit by bit, plus not a big cost all at once, [br]
[br]
all the best, bluesfloyd,