Chord Shapes, Sounds and Harmonies for Absolute Beginners
Licklibrary.com presents "Chord Shapes, Sounds and Harmonies for Absolute Beginners," a specially crafted guitar course for beginners. This comprehensive guide covers crucial guitar techniques, making it an invaluable resource for new guitar enthusiasts. The curriculum includes lessons on the major scale, chord construction, intervals, and various chord types, each designed to build a strong musical foundation. This course is taught by Tom Quayle.
Techniques Covered in "Chord Shapes, Sounds and Harmonies for Absolute Beginners"
The Major Scale
The major scale is the cornerstone of Western music, crucial for guitarists to master. This segment demystifies the major scale, teaching its structure and application on the guitar.
- Deepens music theory knowledge.
- Enhances melody crafting skills.
- Establishes the base for complex musical concepts.
Understanding how chords are formed is key for any guitarist. This part of the course simplifies the theory behind constructing major, minor, and diminished chords.
- Facilitates diverse chord progression creation.
- Deepens harmony comprehension.
- Supports composition and songwriting endeavors.
Intervals are the essential components of chords and scales. This lesson clarifies different intervals and their role in creating various sounds.
- Boosts ear training and musical perception.
- Improves improvisational abilities.
- Lays groundwork for advanced harmony studies.
Open String Major and Minor Chords
For many, open string chords are the initial step in learning guitar. This lesson focuses on mastering major and minor open chords.
- Perfect for quickly learning to play songs.
- Develops hand agility and strength.
- Paves the way for advanced chord learning.
Suspended chords introduce a distinctive sound to guitar playing. This course section explores the formation and usage of suspended chords.
- Brings variety and tension to musical pieces.
- Useful in crafting unique songs.
- Enhances chord transitioning skills.
Barre chords are a fundamental element in a guitarist's toolkit. This lesson focuses on playing barre chords and their role in diversifying chord play.
- Broadens the chord playing range.
- Strengthens fingers and enhances flexibility.
- Key for playing in various keys.
7th chords introduce complexity and richness to music. This part teaches about different 7th chords and how to use them effectively.
- Expands harmonic knowledge.
- Indispensable for genres like jazz and blues.
- Cultivates a sophisticated sound repertoire.
Diatonic Chords and Progressions
Knowing diatonic chords and progressions is essential for creating cohesive music. This lesson delves into chord progressions within a musical key.
- Fundamental for composing songs.
- Enhances understanding of musical structures.
- Aids in improvisation and solo techniques.
Practicing with Backing Tracks
Incorporating backing tracks into practice is a key feature of this course. It allows students to apply their skills in a musical context, improving their sense of timing, rhythm, and improvisation.
- Simulates real-world playing scenarios.
- Sharpens timing and rhythmic abilities.
- Fosters musical ear and improvisational skills.
Comprehensive Technique List with Links
The course concludes with a detailed list of guitar techniques covered, linked to extensive glossary pages on Licklibrary.com:
- Major Scale
- Chord Construction
- Open String Chords
- Suspended Chords
- Barre Chords
- 7th Chords
- Diatonic Chords and Progressions
"Chord Shapes, Sounds and Harmonies for Absolute Beginners" not only equips new guitarists with essential skills but also lays a robust foundation for their musical journey.
About The Tutor
Tom Quayle needs no introduction on the guitar scene after shooting to attention when he made it to the finals of Guitar Idol back in 2008. Before that he was a graduate of Leeds College of Music where he did a degree in jazz then hit the local jazz scene....